Modular Gaging and Fixture Concept – Millimar Standard Elements:
Benefits of a flexible, modular system include:
- Reusability of standard elements. Once production of a particular workpiece has ceased,
- standard elements can be reused for another workpiece.
- A choice of different mechanisms for guiding the moving part of the stylus, selectable for the accuracy requirements of the measuring task.
- Reduced development and implementation time.
- Availability of the equipment: standard elements can be stocked by the supplier for immediate delivery when new gaging requireÂ ments emerge.
An initial gaging system can be constructed by the customer using standard elements obtained from a catalog. Alternatively, these elements can be ordered as a complete solution for the first setup, and then changed later as needed.
Modular, flexible gaging systems are still under active development. As noted above,these systems are not intended to replace either lowerÂ precision handheld gages such as calipers and micrometers, or higher-precision tools such as snap gages, bench stands or more traditional 10/00 gages. Rather,these systems are intended to complement existing gages to help adapt inspection
methodologies to an evolving manuÂfacturing environment.